Stacey E. Trien
Areas of Expertise
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Government Investigations
- Securities Litigation
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western, Southern, and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- The George Washington University Law School
- University of Rochester
BA 1998 cum laude
- Associate, Goldstein, Tanen & Trench (Miami, Florida)
- Associate, Fowler White Burnett (Miami and Fort Lauderdale, Florida)
Stacey E. Trien
Stacey Trien is a founding partner at Adams Leclair LLP. She is a tenacious litigator with a focus on business litigation and employment law matters. She advocates for businesses and individuals involved in lawsuits arising out of contractual issues, employment law disputes, employment discrimination claims, wage and overtime disputes, education law, partnership and shareholder agreements, ERISA plans, federal and state warranty laws, property ownership disputes, commercial leases, securities disputes, and the determination of insurance issues.
Ms. Trien regularly represents clients in state and federal trial courts, arbitration, and state and federal appellate courts, as well as before the New York State Division of Human Rights, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights.
Ms. Trien also provides employment law support to businesses and educational institutions by reviewing and updating policies and procedures, performing internal investigations, conducting training on sexual harassment and general compliance matters, preparing employment contracts and severance agreements, and offering human resources guidance.
In addition, Ms. Trien practices in the area of insurance litigation and assists businesses in obtaining the reversal of insurance denials and negotiating coverage matters with insurance carriers.
Prior to practicing in Rochester, Ms. Trien practiced commercial litigation and employment law in Miami, Florida, for over a decade, where she represented hotel owners, fast food franchisees, car dealerships, condominium associations, real estate developers, and several New York hedge funds, including funds involved in litigation related to the Ponzi schemes orchestrated by Scott Rothstein and Bernard Madoff.
- Obtaining dismissal of federal and state discrimination claims on behalf of employer at the outset of litigation
- Obtaining dismissal in favor of educational institution accused by former professor of violating grievance procedures at the outset of litigation
- Successfully negotiating settlement of significant wage and hour claims brought by multiple plaintiffs against hotel chain
- Successfully deterring commencement of threatened employment discrimination lawsuits
- Successfully appealing a lower court ruling and obtaining a dismissal of an action against the guarantor of a commercial lease
- Negotiating favorable settlements for commercial tenants in litigation with landlord allowing businesses to continue to operate at desired location for agreeable new lease terms
- Obtaining the dismissal of action against vehicle dealership accused of violating federal warranty laws
- Successfully negotiating with insurance companies to reverse decisions to deny coverage in connection with New York Labor Law actions, lead paint lawsuits, and ERISA claims
- Obtaining substantial recovery in favor of retail business owner against credit card processor for violating terms of processing agreement
- Representing hedge funds defending litigation related to the Ponzi schemes orchestrated by Bernard Madoff and Scott Rothstein in Florida and working with team of multiple defendants to settle those claims with substantial payments by co-defendants to the benefit of my clients
- Representing City Attorney of Miami in high-profile litigation involving unpaid severance
- Successfully defending decision on behalf of the National Flood Insurance Program on appeal in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit Court setting the standard for coverage for water entering building from elevated structure
- Providing full-service consulting to employers on human resources matters, including policies and procedures; investigations; training; employment contracts; non-compete provisions; severance agreements; disability accommodation; leave issues; FMLA; wage and hour issues; overtime classifications; hiring and background checks; pay equity; corporate compliance and ethics; executive compensation; and ERISA and benefit plans.
Activities and Affiliations
- President-Elect, Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys
- Board Member, Levy Family Foundation, a charitable foundation focusing on children and educational initiatives
- Co-District Representative, 7th Judicial District Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association
- Former Board Member, Monroe County Bar Association Foundation
- Member of the National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Member of the Monroe County Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association
Recognition and Awards
- Selected to “Super Lawyers” and recognized by “Best Lawyers of America” for Employment Law and Insurance Litigation
- President’s Award from the Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys (2018)
- Daily Record Excellence in Law recipient (2017)
- Named Hon. Judith S. Kaye Commercial and Federal Litigation Scholar by the New York State Bar Association (2016)
- Featured by the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle as a Woman to Watch (2016)
Presentations and Seminars
- HR Update: Online Seminar for Employees and HR Professionals During the Pandemic, May 2020, Webinar.
- COVID-19 Legal Update for Construction Employers, March 2020, Webinar.
- Sexual Harassment: Best Practices, April 2020, Rochester Builders Exchange, Rochester, New York.
- New York State Bar Association CLE Program “Insurance Coverage: A Glimpse Forward and a Glimpse Back,” Spring 2018, Buffalo, New York.
- New York State Bar Association CLE Program: “Updates and Hot Trending Topics Affecting Insurance Coverage,” Spring 2017, Buffalo, New York.
- “13 Extraordinary Women Share Their Secrets of Success,” Temple B’rith Kodesh, Rochester, New York.
- Advocate’s View: Top 5 COVID-19 Issues for Employers to Consider in the Summer of 2020, The Daily Record, June 18, 2020.
- CARES Act: Do you Qualify for New Small Business Stimulus Funds?, March 30, 2020.
- Advocate’s View: Update Your Sexual Harassment Policy, The Daily Record, July 19, 2019.
- Advocate’s View: Settlement Agreements, The Daily Record, February 26, 2019.
- Advocate’s View: When contract requires you to procure insurance, having the right policy is key , The Daily Record October 17, 2018.
- Advocate’s View: Flood insurance basics, The Daily Record, October 19, 2017.
- Advocate’s View: Indemnification agreements: Intra-party v. third-party claims, The Daily Record, April 20, 2017.
- Service of Process in a federal action: Understanding state, federal rules, October 19, 2016.