Steven E. Cole
Areas of Concentration
- Trade Secret & Intellectual Property Litigation Business & Commercial Litigation
- Financial Services Litigation & Arbitration
- Partnership and Shareholder Disputes
- New York, 1995
- U.S. District Court for the Western and Northern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American University
- Union College
- Partner/Managing Partner, Leclair Korona LLP
- Partner, Wolford & Leclair LLP
- Trial Attorney, United States Department of Justice
Steven E. Cole
Steve Cole is a founding partner of Adams Leclair LLP and serves as the firm’s Managing Partner. He represents businesses and individuals in complex disputes in federal and state courts, in arbitration, and before governmental agencies. Steve regularly represents companies and individuals in business-related disputes involving trade secrets, shareholder rights, restrictive covenants, and intellectual property. He also has extensive experience representing clients in the financial services industry, including investor disputes, regulatory inquiries, and disputes involving corporate raiding.
As an attorney with the Justice Department and in private practice, Steve has been involved in numerous trials and arbitration hearings, including hearings before the Financial Institution Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and its predecessor organizations.
Clients benefit from Steve’s extensive familiarity and experience with the process of resolving disputes through trial, dispositive motion, or settlement.
- Obtained injunctive relief at the outset of litigation in multiple cases to protect the rights of clients who were partners, shareholders, employers, or creditors.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a business and its owners based upon defective claims asserted by a consultant who claimed to have been a partner in the website development venture
- Negotiated a favorable buy-out of a minority shareholder’s interests in a IT support business based upon shareholder oppression claims after a fair value hearing
- Negotiated a favorable settlement in favor of a dairy farm seeking to recover damages from the manufacturer and distributor of an automated milking system
- Negotiated favorable settlements for multiple clients in the investment advisory industry accused of violating restrictive employment covenants, after obtaining court rulings that the restrictions were wholly or partially invalid.
- Obtained dismissal on summary judgment of a oil spill claim against a national fuel distribution company
- Obtained a voluntary dismissal of a shareholder derivative suit in its entirety after having successfully moved to dismiss plaintiff’s claims of self-dealing by the controlling shareholder as lacking evidence
- Negotiated a favorable settlement in favor of an automotive parts company on a claim of breach of contract against a supplier after having successfully defended against a motion for summary judgment at the trial court and on appeal.
Activities and Affiliations
- Member of the Monroe County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Worker Justice Center of New York, Inc. (Board President)
Recognition and Awards
- AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers of America, Commercial Litigation and Litigation-Securities
- Super Lawyers for Upstate New York
Presentations and Seminars
- Monroe County Bar Association, Restrictive Covenants and Trade Secrets, March 27. 2019
- Predicting success in protecting trade secrets – an analysis of four factors – Rochester Daily Record, December 13, 2018
In the News
- Steve Cole finds his niche Leading Leclair Korona, Rochester Business Journal, June 9, 2017